KADLA BELE PAYASA/SKINNED SPLIT BENGAL GRAM PORRIDGE :
PAYASA is a main sweet dish in most Karnataka platters or Thali . PAYASA is basically milk and jaggery/sugar as the base of the porridge with one core ingredient as is this case skinned split BENGAL gram or other such ingredients like poppy seeds, rice, vermicelli etc. changed according to choice.
AUTHOR : PIYALI
SERVES : 4
CUISINE : INDIAN / KARNATAKA
TYPE : DESSERT/SWEET
TIME : 5 MINUTES PREPARATION + 25 MINUTES COOKING
1) 250 Gms of KADLA BELE/CHANA DAL /SKINNED SPLIT BENGAL GRAM
2) 200 Gms of Jaggery
3) 1 Tbsp Semolina/Rawa
4) 250-300 ml fresh thick Coconut milk
5) 1 tsp Green Cardamom freshly crushed
6) 2 Tbsp or more Raw Cashewnuts for garnishing.
7) 1 Tbsp of ghee / clarified butter
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT :
1) Clean and soak the skinned split Bengal gram lentil in water for 5 minutes.
2) Pressure cook the lentils covered with enough water till soft. Remove and drain the water but do not throw the water.
3) Smash the cooked lentils with a spoon.
4) In a pan / wok add the clarified butter. Next add the semolina and roast it till it changes colour.
5) Now add the cooked lentil. Stir till it thickens.
6) Add the water in which the lentil was cooked. Stir well and add the green cardamom powder.
7) Next add the Jaggery and wait till the Jaggery melts. Stir now and keep stirring till the mixture in the pan thickens.
TIP : Check for sweetness and add more Jaggery if required.
8) Remove from the flame. Add thick coconut milk and mix nicely. Leave it on the flame stirring occasionally till it starts to boil.
9) Remove from flame. Garnish with cashewnuts. Serve hot or cold