In a Bengali meal curries are served after teto (bitter dish ), Shaag (leafy greens) and bhaja (fries) along with dal (lentil curry).
Shorshe Dharosh Recipe | Sarson Wali Bhindi Recipe | Okra in Mustard Gravy Recipe ~
CUISINE : INDIAN /BENGALI
TYPE : CURRY / MAIN COURSE
TIME : 15 MINUTES PREPARATION + 30 MINUTES COOKING + 30 MINUTES SOAKING TIME OF MUSTARD SEEDS AND POPPY SEEDS.
1) 250 Gms Okra / Ladies Finger / Dharosh / Bhindi
2) 2 Tbsp Black Mustard Seeds / Sarson
3) 1 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
4) 1 Tbsp Grated Coconut ( I have used fresh coconut pieces )
5) 2 ~ 3 Green chillies
6) 1 Tsp Turmeric powder ( 1/2 tsp for mustard sauce + 1/2 Tsp for okra fry )
7) 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
8) 1 Tsp dry roasted and ground cumin seeds powder
9) 1/2 Tbsp Mustard Oil
10) Salt to taste
FOR TEMPERING :
1) 1 Tsp Kalo Jeera, Kalonji, Nigella Seeds
2) 2 Tbsp Mustard Oil
THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE Shorshe Dharosh | Sarson Wali Bhindi | Okra in Mustard Gravy ~
- Drain the water using a strainer. Grind the mustard, poppy seeds along with coconut and green chillies and a big pinch of salt.
- TIP : The salt is added to the ingredients during grinding , I was told to nullify the bitterness of mustard seeds.
- Grind the ingredients into a silky smooth paste. Use one or two tsp water if required to get the smooth consistency.
- Dry the okra completely using a kitchen towel, ensuring that not a single drop of water is left behind.
- Cut the okra now into halves horizontally each after chopping off the top cap and the bottom end. You can even make this dish with whole okras, only take care they should be smaller and equal sized.
- Add 1/2 Tsp salt, 1/2 Tsp of Turmeric powder and chilli powder and coat each okra with it.
- Fry the okra using 1/2 Tbsp Oil in a pan till 80% done. I never cover and cook okra to avoid the slime. Remove the pan from the burner.
- Add the mustard, poppy seeds, coconut paste and stir fry the paste for two minutes. Reduce the flame as the paste tends to splutter out and may hit your hand.
- Add 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup water now and stir. Cover and cook till the water evaporates and you can see specks of oil over the paste.
- Mix the okra with mustard gravy or sauce in the pan. Handle the okra gently and not break it apart. Add 1/2 Cup water. Leave the okra along with the mustard gravy cooking on a medium flame for two minutes or till the okra is fully cooked.
- Sprinkle the cumin powder now and mix.
- Simmer for a minute. Remove the pan from the burner and transfer the contents into a bowl.
- TIP : If you feel the gravy has thickened too much and is drying up, you can add a little more water now. But this gravy is a thick gravy, so do not add too much water.
Sprinkle the cumin powder now and mix.
TIP : If you feel the gravy has thickened too much and is drying up, you can add a little more water now. But this gravy is a thick gravy, so do not add too much water.