BEETROOT GOJJU/ BEETROOT SWEET AND TANGY SIDE DISH :
Beetroot Gojju is a tangy side dish had with piping hot rice in Karnataka cuisine.This slightly sweet, slightly sour, slightly salty dish can be used as a chutney or dip too. Its lovely colour is so appetizing and the crunchy garlicky tempering gives the dish a lovely flavour. Can be made in less than 15 minutes with very little oil, this is a gluten free, nut free, vegan delight.
SERVES : 4
CUISINE : INDIAN/KARNATAKA STYLE
TYPE : SIDE DISH
TIME : 10 MINUTES PREPARATION + 15 MINUTES COOKING
1) 1Large Beetroot cut roughly into cubes
2) 1/2 Cup Fresh Coconut ( Grated)
3) A very small ball sized Tamarind pulp
4) Salt to taste
TO DRY ROAST :
1) 2 Dry Red Chillies or more depending upon your taste
2) 1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
3) 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
FOR THE TEMPERING :
1) 1 Tsp Oil
2) 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
3) 3-4 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
4) 1 sprig of Curry leaves
THIS IS WHAT YOU DO :
1) Skin the Beetroot, cut roughly into small cubes, wash throughly and drain and place into a pressure cooker.
2) Add sufficient water to cover the Beetroot and pressure cook it till cooked.
TIP : I don't like overcooked beetroot and prefer it to be 80% cooked
3) In a grinder or food processor add the cooked beetroot, grated coconut, tamarind pulp, the Dry Roasted Cumin seeds, coriander seeds and dry red chillies and salt. Whizz to a smooth paste.
TIP : Don't add water
4) To prepare the tempering, In a pan add oil. When hot add the mustard seeds and let it pop. Next add chopped garlic, curry leaves and sauté till fragrant.