Garbanzo Beans, Apricot, Dill Meatballs Recipe | Vegan Meatballs | Kabuli Chana, Khubani, Suva Meatballs Recipe ~
- Take the garbanzo beans and place them in a pressure cooker. Cover them with water and cook them for 8 ~ 10 whistles or until soft.
- You know that the garbanzo beans are cooked completely when you can easily smash them with your fingers. Close the burner and remove the pressure cooker off the heat.
- Drain the water from the garbanzo beans and discard the water.
- TIP : If you are using canned garbanzo beans / chickpeas then omit step 1.
- Chop the onion, ginger, garlic, dill leaves, chilies, finely and cut the Apricots into tiny pieces. Boil the sweet potato. Remove the skin and break it into small pieces. Keep ready to use.
3) Assemble all the ingredients together on your working platform along with a large mixing bowl. First add the boiled and ground garbanzo beans into the bowl.
- Next add the chopped fresh dill leaves, ginger, garlic, onions, oats, chaat masala, salt to the ground garbanzo beans in the bowl.
- TIP : While seasoning with salt remember that chaat masala has some salt in it already. I did not add any salt because I used masala oats, which already has salt in it enough for the perfect seasoning.
- Using your all important fingers bring the contents in the bowl all together by exerting a slight pressure with your palms.
- Add the sweet potatoes and knead it into the mixture in the bowl. By this time your mixture should have the consistency of a soft dough.
- Finally add the apricot and chopped chilies and incorporate them into the mixture by mixing lightly.
- Apply light pressure to the small sized mixture you have just taken and press it between your fingers to give it a shape.
- Give the vegan meatball mixture the shape of a sphere. It should be about the size of a lemon.
- Make sphere shaped vegan meatballs with the entire mixture. It should yield 15 vegan meatballs approximately. Arrange all the vegan meatballs on a dish ready to use.
- When the oil is hot, place the garbanzo beans meatballs, one each in each cavity of the paniyaram pan.
- TIP: I have used the paniyaram pan, for frying the garbanzo beans meatballs, so that minimal oil is used to fry them. You can deep fry, air fry or even bake these vegan meatballs.
- Once the vegan meatballs turn golden brown on one side, turn them over, then around till they become evenly golden brown allover.
- TIP : Start the frying with a high heat and then reduce to medium and again high towards the end. These vegan meatballs should not take more than 5~7 minutes to be done completely, since they are almost precooked.
- Once fully done they have this light crunch on the outside and melting softness within.
- Transfer the vegan meatballs into a wok and drizzle the sauce of your choice over it. Nicely coat each meatball with the sauce and serve as a yummy appetizer.
- Serve these bit sized yumminess at your house parties, kids play dates, or Super Bowl Appetizer(which is just round the corner ) and enjoy. Don't forget to pair these with my mouthwatering Pomegranate and Jalapeno Chutney.
TIP : While seasoning with salt remember that chaat masala has some salt in it already. I did not add any salt because I used masala oats, which already has salt in it enough for the perfect seasoning.