Wednesday 16 August 2017

Murgh Methi Malai Recipe / Chicken Cooked In Fenugreek Leaves And Fresh Cream


I look at the cardboard boxes sprawled across my once spic and span home, some half full, some taped and closed with marker scribbled words of what it contains inside written on top. The Greek Philosopher Heraclitus's doctrine says "Change is the only constant" and so true it is. Change has remained the only constant factor in my life so far. It all started from the first change of sharing my parents room, to my own room, then sharing my room with my sister, changing out into my Engineering college hostel room, to my first salary rented flat, then to my in-laws home after marriage, many other cities and homes later to this one in Dubai and again I am changing to a new abode which I will turn into a home in time.


Change though is inevitable, it does stir up a bevy of emotions within me always. For example this time I am caught up between sad, excited, skeptical, happy, curious etc. just to name a few. I am sad because I am leaving behind a home where I created memories all these years. A home which I sprinkled with love and care, which has seen me ecstatic with happiness and crying my heart out too. A home which never failed to bring on that smile at the thought of culminating my busiest, toughest days within its warm, comforting, soothing realms. I am excited at the thought of unleashing my creative juices and turning meager brick walls into a cosy, secure, endearing dwelling place. Skeptical of how the neighborhood will turn out to be, how I will manage myself in a totally new terrain. Happy because I really like the new residence, which is not only constructed beautifully, but is in lieu with nature. Curious to discover, explore a very different part of Dubai, find new restaurants, parks, meet people and get an insight into their tradition and culture.

As I sit typing I realize that this will be my last Blog post from this home. Without me wanting it I feel a gush of sadness engulf me and a lump starts developing in my throat. I hold back the tears, swelling up in my eyes and start to get my thoughts into happier land. I will miss this home I know but will the home miss me too. Can these walls surrounding me feel my anguish, I wonder. Maybe they do but they are tougher than me and won't vent out their emotions so easily. Maybe in the darkest hour of the night when all eyes are shut tight in slumber, they will let out a sigh and be sad for all of us. But with the first rays of the sun, they too will accept the fact that Change is inevitable like me and all the remaining inmates. As an ode to this home, I will for one last time cook a beautiful dish Murgh Methi Malai in the kitchen.

Murgh Methi Malai is a chicken curry to suit all taste buds. The gravy is mildly spiced, very creamy and has the gorgeous aroma of the fresh fenugreek leaves combined with a whiff of fragrance from the Kasoori Methi or dried fenugreek leaves added right at the end for enhanced aroma. Fresh fenugreek leaves have a slight bitter taste, in-spite of having numerous health benefits. In this curry the bitter taste of the fenugreek leaves is completely masked by yogurt and fresh cream that is incorporated in this dish. The result is a delectable Indian Chicken Curry, rustled up within minutes and definitely a palate appeaser.

Murgh Methi Malai Recipe / Chicken Cooked In Fenugreek Leaves And Fresh Cream Recipe ~

AUTHOR ~ PIYALI MUTHA
SERVES ~ 4
CUISINE ~ INDIAN
TYPE ~ MAIN COURSE / CURRY
TIME ~ 10 MINUTES PREPARATION + 20 MINUTES COOKING + 2 HOURS MARINATION

INGREDIENTS ~
  • 1 Kg. Chicken, skinned, on the bone, use boneless chicken if you like
FOR THE MARINADE ~
  • 4 Tbsp Yogurt
  • 1 Tsp Ginger Paste
  • 2 Tsp Garlic Paste
  • 1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
  • 2 ~3 Green Chillies, slit into two
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tbsp Oil
FOR Cooking ~
  • 2 Tbsp Oil
  • 2 Large Onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 Cup Fresh Fenugreek Leaves, tightly packed, no stems
  • 1 Cup (250 ml approximately) Fresh Cream
  • 1 Tbsp Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves), crushed
  • 4 Tbsp Scallions (Spring onions), chopped
  • 1 Tsp Black Pepper Powder, freshly ground
  • Salt to taste

Get Cooking Murgh Methi Malai / Chicken Cooked In Fenugreek Leaves And Fresh Cream In Easy Steps ~

1) Clean the chicken, make slits on it using a sharp knife. In a bowl mix all the ingredients under " For The Marinade ". Add the chicken pieces, give them a nice massage with the marinade. Cover the bowl and place it in the refrigerator for 2 ~ 3 hours.

2) After the lapse of 2 ~3 hours, heat oil in a sauce pan. Throw in the sliced onions. Fry them till golden brown. 
  • Throw in the fenugreek leaves. Fry them till they become dry and fragrant.
  • Add the marinated chicken along with the marinade. Do not add water at this stage.
  • Cook the chicken on high flame for 5 minutes. Then simmer and cook till done.
  • Finally throw in the chopped scallions, kasoori methi. 
  • At this stage as per liking add water if you need more gravy. Bring to a boil if you add water or else skip this step.
  • Add black pepper powder, season with salt if required. Give everything a nice stir.
  • Add the cream and mix well. 
  • Simmer for 2 minutes and your Methi Malai Chicken Curry is ready to serve.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with Indian Flat breads or piping hot steamed Basmati Rice, some poppadums, a green salad and a dash of mango chutney for a yummilicious experience.






Would Love To Hear From You. Do Leave Your Valuable Feedback In The Comments Below. If You Have Tried This Recipe Please Let Me Know How It Turned Out. If You Have Any Queries Regarding This Or Any Other Recipe In My Blog, Please Feel Free To Leave A Comment Here Or Email Me At piyalimutha@gmail.com . For The Latest Updates Of My Blog And Loads Of Food Stories Stay Tuned To My Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Flipboard Accounts. Let The Food Adventure Continue In Your Kitchen...


No comments:

Post a Comment