Thursday, 23 May 2019
Palak Paneer Dum Biryani Recipe / Cottage Cheese In Silky Spinach Gravy Layered In Between Basmati Rice Cooked On Dum ~ Go Green With My Recipes
Palak Paneer Biryani / Soft Pillowy Pristine Cubes of Cottage Cheese cooked in a creamy silky Spinach Gravy, then layered between whole spices perfumed basmati rice and another layer of saffron infused rice, cooked sealed in an earthen pot on Dum (in it's own steam). Continuing my series with the hashtag #GoGreenWithMyRecipes
Serves ~ 4
For Palak Paneer ~
2 Tbsp Oil
500 Gms Malai Paneer / Cottage Cheese, cut into cubes
200 Gms Baby Spinach
1 Onion, diced
1 1/2 Inch Ginger piece, diced finely
1 Tomato, finely diced
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 Tbsp Coriander Powder
1 1/2 Tbsp Garam Masala Powder
150 Gms Fresh Cream
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp Butter
1 Tsp Cumin seeds
6 Cloves Garlic, grated
1 Cup Ice Cubes
For the Rice ~
1 1/2 Cup Basmati Rice
2 Inch Cinnamon Stick
1 Black Cardamom
4 Green Cardamom
2 Strands Mace / Jaitri
1 Tsp Clarified Butter
2 Tbsp Salt
Few Strands Saffron crushed and boiled in 1/4th Cup Water or Milk
For the Layering ~
1 Onion, Sliced finely, deep fried / Birista
Few Baby Spinach Leaves
1 Tbsp Clarified Butter / Ghee
Oil to deep fry
For the Palak Paneer ~
Step 1 ~
* Take a large bowl. Add warm water to it. Add 1 Tbsp salt. Throw in the Paneer Cubes. Keep aside.
Step 2 ~
In a pan take oil, throw in the Ginger, fry for 1 minute, throw in the onions, fry till golden brown.
* Add Red Chilli Powder, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder. Sautés for a minute.
* Throw in the Tomatoes now, add salt and cook till soft. Remove the pan from the burner. Cool the contents of the pan.
Step 3 ~
* Transfer the contents of the pan in a food processor or grinder. Add Almonds.
* Whizz the contents to a fine paste.
* Transfer the contents back to the pan. Simmer till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
Step 4 ~
* While the gravy is simmering, wash the baby Spinach leaves thoroughly.
* In a pan bring water to a rolling Boil. Throw in the Spinach leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.
* Immediately drain the water out by transferring the cooked Spinach leaves into a perforated colander. As soon as the water drains out, transfer the Spinach leaves into another bowl containing ice cubes. Leave the Spinach leaves there, so that they stop cooking and retain their gorgeous colour.
* As soon as the spinach leaves cool down transfer drain out the excess water, transfer into a food processor or grinder and whizz into a fine runny paste. Keep aside.
Step 5 ~
* Add Garam Masala powder to the gravy simmering in the pan. Check for seasoning and add salt if required.
* Now add the Spinach Puree. Stir. Add the Paneer cubes forking them out of the warm saline water. Soaking the Paneer in warm saline water makes them soft and seasoned. Mix everything nicely.
* Finally add the Fresh Cream and mix well. Remove the pan from the burner. Do not cook for long as the spinach will lose its colour. Spinach is a delicate leaf, so do not overcook. Keep aside.
To Cook the Rice ~
Step 6 ~
* Soak the Basmati Rice in water after washing thoroughly for at least half an hour.
* Take a large pan. Fill it to the water almost 1 inch below the brim. Throw in the Cinnamon, Black and Green Cardamom, Clove, Mace, Salt, Clarified Butter. Bring to a rolling boil.
* Add the rice after draining out all the water the rice was soaking in.
* Cook the rice uncovered till 70% done.
* Drain the water out by transferring the 70% cooked rice into a perforated colander. Leave it there for 1 minute not more.
* Transfer the rice to a large plate. Spread it out so that the rice cools down and stops cooking. Handle the rice delicately or else it will break.
* Remove the whole spices.
* To a small portion of the Rice add Saffron water / Saffron Milk.
To Do the Layering ~
* Take a large pot or Dekchi (Flat bottomed pot). Add Clarified Butter/Ghee.
* Spread out the white Rice making a layer of it. Sprinkle some deep fried onion sli*ces, deep-fried blanched Almond.
* Next layer out the Palak Paneer over the bed of white rice.
* Finally make a layer of the saffron tinted rice over the Spinach Cottage Cheese Gravy Layer. Garnish the topmost layer with Deep fried sliced Onions, deep fried almonds and deep fried Spinach leaves.
* Cover with an aluminium foil. Put the Lid of the pot over the aluminium foil.
* Cook on High for 2 minutes. Simmer to the lowest and cook for 10 minutes.
Your Palak Paneer Dum Biryani is ready to serve.
Serve with Raita (Yogurt Dip) of your choice and Pyaaz Ka Salan. Get the Recipe by clicking here ----> Pyaaz Ka Salan