This is Kashmiri Phirni & I had made it the for the first Diwali after my marriage said Netra Aunty coyly. My mother-in-law had taught me to make it perfectly & it was an instant hit with everyone present at the Diwali Party. She handed me a spoon & said, go ahead taste one. I scooped out a spoonful from the kulhad (handle-less clay cup) that was filled with this mushy, creamy saffron tinted dessert to the brim, put it in my mouth & voila a cool sweet burst of tiny particles lapped up in deliciousness exploded on my tongue. There was light crunch in between from the nuts & there was a strong aroma of saffron. This unlike the other Phirnis is made out of Semolina & not ground rice, she explained. Oh ! I thought, so those tiny milk bloated globules were Semolina. The memories of that evening has remained with me forever. So when I was thinking about what post to do for Diwali the picture of the earthen goblet filled with this gold painted dessert came flashing back in front of my eyes. Netra Aunty is a part of my memory too as I have lost touch with her in the years that we moved house. But even today, her Kashmiri Phirni remains fresh in my mind.
I want to share with you the recipe of Kashmiri Phirni right below. It's a very simple dish, uses ingredients right off your kitchen shelf and can be made well in advance.
Do scroll right to the end of this post to find the links to 10 Diwali Special Sweet & Savoury dishes from co-bloggers. This will not only help you to plan your Diwali celebrations perfectly but also give you a repertoire of wonderful recipes.
Kashmiri Phirni Recipe ~Serves ~ 8~10
Cuisine ~ Indian / Kashmiri
Type ~ Dessert / Sweetdish
Time ~ 1 hour to soak the semolina + 10 minutes preparation + 30 minutes cooking + overnight refrigeration
2 Ltrs Milk, full cream
8 Tbsp Semolina / Suji / Rawa , fine & roasted
1/2 Cup Sugar
400 Ml Condensed Milk
1 Tsp Green Cardamom Powder, ground
2 ~3 Tbsp Almonds, chopped
2~3 Tbsp Cashewnuts, broken into small pieces
A large pinch of Saffron
Let's make Kashmiri Phirni in easy steps ~
Pictorial Step By Step Recipe of Kashmiri Phirni ~
2) In a large pan bring the remaining Milk to a boil.
3) Add Green Cardamom Powder. Stir.
4) Add chopped Almonds & Cashewnut pieces. Stir.
5) Add Sugar. Stir.
6) Add the Saffron strands. Stir.
7) Add the soaked Semolina along with the milk. Stir continuously so that the Semolina doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, neither does it form any lumps.
8) Add Condensed Milk. Stir.
9) Simmer & leave for 5 minutes or till the Kashmiri Phirni becomes thick.
10) Let it cool to room temperature. Fill your earthenware with Kashmiri Phirni and leave it in the refrigerator overnight.