Saturday, 19 October 2019
Methi Malai Kofta Recipe / Raw Papaya Cottage Cheese Dumplings In Fenugreek Fresh Cream Gravy ~ Diwali Delights
Methi Malai Kofta / Kofte are Raw Papaya And Cottage Cheese Dumplings Cooked in a luscious Fresh Fenugreek Leaves, Fresh Cream Gravy. Festive meals are always special and they deserve to be unique, indulgent, redolent with decadence and should leave an everlasting mark on your taste buds. This dish is just that and it is sure to take your festive fervour to a flavour crescendo.
Author ~ Piyali Sekhar Mutha
Serves ~ 6
Cuisine ~ Indian
Type ~ Curry / Main Course / Kofta Curry
Time ~ 20 Minutes Preparation + 40 Minutes Cooking
For Kofta / Dumplings
3/4 Cup Raw Green Papaya, finely grated
1/2 Cup Paneer / Cottage Cheese, crumbled
1/2 Cup Boiled Potato mash
2 Green Chillies, chopped
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 Tsp Chaat Masala Powder
4 ~ 6 Tbsp Sattu Ka Atta, Roasted Chana Dal / Split Husked Black Chickpeas and powdered
Salt to taste
500 Ml Oil to deep fry the Koftas
For The Gravy ~
1 Cup Fresh Fenugreek Leaves, chopped, tightly packed
1 Medium Sized Onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic, freshly grated
1/2 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 Tsp Roasted Jeera Powder
1/2 Cup Yogurt
1 Cup Milk
1/2 Cup Fresh Cream
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp Oil
To Make The Kofta / Dumplings ~
Step ~ 1
* In a large Mixing Bowl, Add finely grated Raw Green Papaya after removing the skin of the papaya, potato which has been skinned, boiled and mashed, paneer / cottage cheese which has been crumbled. To this add salt, Garam Masala powder, Chaat Masala powder, Chopped Green Chillies and Sattu Ka Atta / Roasted and powdered Husked Split Black Chickpeas.
* Mix everything and bring the ingredients together to make a soft dough.
* Divide the dough into 6 ~7 equal portions. Shape each portion like a cylinder. Keep Aside.
Step ~ 2
* Heat Oil in a kadai or pan. Gently place the Kofta into the hot oil. Fry them till they turn golden brown throughout.
* Remove the Kofta using a slotted spoon onto a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
To Make The Gravy ~
Step ~ 1
* Take a wok / kadai. Add oil. When hot, throw in the sliced onions. Sauce the onions till soft.
* Throw in the chopped Fresh Fenugreek Leaves. Fry them in the oil till oil leaves the sides too the wok.
* Now add the freshly Grated Ginger and Garlic. Fry for a minute.
* Take a small bowl. Add yogurt, salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder. Add 1/2 Cup water. Whisk with a fork to form a lump less homogenous mixture. Add this to the wok. While adding this yogurt mixture, lower the flame so that yogurt doesn't separate. Cook till oil separates out at the edges of the wok.
Step ~ 2
* Add 1 Cup Milk. Mix everything.
* Cook on high till it comes to a rolling boil.
* Add Fresh Cream leaving 1 tbsp of Fresh Cream to use at the end. Mix and stir well.
* Cook for 2 minutes. Your Gravy is ready and you can now switch off the flame.
To Assemble ~
Take the serving bowl. Spoon in some gravy. Place the kofta.
Spoon in some more gravy over the kofta. Finish off with a drizzle of diluted fresh cream. Serve with Indian flat breads of choice.