Thursday, 11 October 2018
Navratri Special Meethi & Teekhi Chutney / Hot & Sweet Chutney / Coriander Green Chilli Peanut Spicy Chutney / Date Tamarind Sweet Chutney
Sharad Navratri has commenced this year. Different parts of India celebrate the festival in different ways. In the Northern part of India many devotees of the Goddess keep a day long fast. After prayers, veneration and offerings to the deity at sunset the fast is broken. Only certain types and categories of food are allowed to be eaten during this fast. Also determining the exact ingredients which will make the dishes differs from family to family. For example some families do not eat Chutneys for these 9 days. However those who do ensure firstly that the Chutney is vegetarian, gluten free and comprises only the ingredients allowed during this fast.
I at home make both the Meethi (sweet) and Teekhi (hot and spicy) at the very beginning of the festivities. Fill up two large glass jars with the Chutneys and refrigerate them till seven or more days. Let's take a look at the Ingredients required for the Sweet Chutney first followed by the Hot & Spicy Chutney.
This is for 400gms approximately of Sweet Chutney
250 Gms (1 Cup ) pitted Dates
125 Gms (1/2 Cup) grated Jaggery
1 Tsp dried Ginger powder / Sonth
1 1/2 Tbsp Tamarind paste
3 Cups Water
Sendha Namak / Rock Salt to taste
Let's make the Sweet Chutney in Easy Steps ~
1) In a pressure cooker take dates, jaggery, water and cook till 4 whistles. If you do not have a pressure cooker, then bring everything to a boil and simmer till the dates become soft.
2) Once done bring to room temperature, transfer to a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste.
3) Return the paste to the pressure cooker or pan. Place on burner. Add Dry Ginger Powder, Tamarind, Salt, give it a nice stir. Reduce till you get a thick consistency.
4) Cool, transfer to a glass jar, refrigerate.
Serve with Chaats, Tikkas, Kebabs, Fritters, Fries etc.
This is for 400gms approximately of Hot and Spicy Chutney
1 Cup tightly packed Coriander Leaves
4 Green Chillies
1/4 th Cup Roasted Peanuts
1 inch piece of Ginger
1/2 Lime juice
Rock Salt or Vrat Namak to taste
Water to grind if required
Let's make the Hot and Spicy Chutney in Easy Steps ~
1) In a food processor grind all the ingredients except the Lime into a smooth paste. If required add water. The consistency is thick and not runny of this Chutney.
2) Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a Lime, mix well . Transfer into a glass jar and refrigerate for later use.