Sunday, 20 October 2019
Ragda Beetroot Pattice Recipe / Beetroot Pattice With Ragda ~ Diwali Delights
Ragda Beetroot Pattice is a very popular Indian street food. Here Ragda is the thick curry made with dry white/yellow peas and Pattice is an adaptation from the English word Patties which is generally mash potato cake. But in my dish I have replaced the potato patties with Beetroot, Mashed Potatoes and Paneer / Cottage Cheese Patties. Ragda and Pattice are cooked separately and then assembled on a plate. Two Beetroot Patties are placed on a bed of dry white / yellow peas thick curry. Then a spicy garlic Chutney, a sweet Tamarind Chutney and Minty Tangy Green Chutney is drizzled over it. This lip smacking street food is finished off with a garnish of chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and nylon sev / very fine, deep fried, gram flour noodles. Diwali and these tongue ticklers are synonymous with each other. I love to fill my Diwali with a variety of dishes which have my personalised touch.
Author ~ Piyali Sekhar Mutha
Serves ~ 4
Cuisine ~ Indian Street Food / Maharashtrian / Gujrati Street Food
Type ~ Snacks / Tongue Ticklers
Time ~ 20 Minutes Preparation + 40 Minutes Cooking +10 Minutes Assembling + Overnight Soaking of White / Yellow Peas
1 Cup Yellow/White Peas
1/4 th Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Salt
A large pinch of Baking Soda(optional)
1/4th Tsp Cumin seeds
1 Medium Onion, finely chopped
1 Sprig Curry Leaves
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic, freshly grated
1 Small Tomato, finely chopped
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
1 Tbsp Roasted Gram Powder / Besan (optional)
2 Tbsp Oil
For Beetroot Pattice ~
1 Cup Beetroot, grated using the bigger cavity of the grater
1 Medium Potato, skinned, cubed and boiled
1/2 Cup Crumbled Cottage Cheese / Paneer
1/2 Cup Oats
1 Tsp freshly grated Ginger and Garlic
1 Small Onion, finely chopped
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp Chaat Masala Powder
2 Tbsp fresh Coriander leaves, finely chopped
1 Tbsp Oil
Oil to shallow fry the Beetroot Patties
For The Final Garnish ~ (Not giving any quantity as it will depended on the eater what amount of these ingredients he desires on this Ragda Beetroot Pattice.
Spicy Garlic Chutney (garlic, red chillies, salt to taste, whizzed together to a paste)
Meethi or Sweet Chutney <--- (for recipe click)
Green Chutney (In Equal quantities Mint leaves and coriander leaves, Green Chillies, salt to taste, Sugar, Lemon juice, whizzed together to form a paste)
Finely Chopped Onions
Tomatoes, finely chopped
Fresh Coriander leaves, finely chopped
Roasted Cumin Powder,
Chaat Masala Powder,
Red Chilli Powder,
Nylon Sev / Deep fried very fine gram flour noodles
To Make Ragda ~
Step 1 ~
* Soak the yellow / white peas in water, overnight. Drain all water in the morning by passing to through a perforated Colander. Transfer the yellow / white peas into a pressure cooker.
* Add enough water to cover them. Add turmeric powder, salt, Baking soda. Mix well. Pressure cook for two whistles or till the yellow peas become soft yet retains it's shape.
Step ~ 2
* Take a pan, add oil, add cumin seeds.
* When they crackle, add onions, curry leaves. Sauce the onions till soft.
* Add ginger garlic paste, sauce till raw smell disappears.
* Add chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft.
* Finally add Red Chilli Powder, Roasted Cumin Powder and Coriander Powder. Mix everything nicely.
Step ~ 3
* Add the cooked yellow peas along with their water into the pan. Cook, mix and stir for a minute.
* Add required water and mix. Remember this is a very thick gravy. In case you feel your Ragda is runny, add roasted gram flour to thicken the gravy.
* Cook for two minutes. Check for seasoning, add salt if required. Remove from the heat. Your Ragda is ready.
To Make Beetroot Pattice ~
Step ~ 1
* Take a pan, add oil, add, freshly grated ginger garlic. Fry till aromatic.
* Add grated Beetroot. Cook for 2 minutes.
* Add chopped onions, garam masala powder, red chilli powder, mix.
* Cook for a minute. Remove from flame and cool.
Step ~ 2
* Take a large mixing bowl. Transfer Beetroot from the pan, add skinned, cubed boiled potatoes, crumbled cottage cheese and oats to it. Mix and knead together.
* Add Chaat masala powder, chopped fresh coriander leaves, salt to taste. Mix and knead into a soft dough.
* Divide the Beetroot dough into equal parts. Shape each part into a small flat disc or patty.
* Shallow fry the Beetroot Patties in oil.
* When they turn golden on one side , flip and cook the other side of the patty till it turns golden. Remove onto a paper napkin.
For Assembling Ragda Beetroot Pattice ~
Step ~ 1
* Take an individual serving plate. Spoon in Ragda. Place Beetroot Patties on the Bed of Ragda.
* Drizzle Spicy Garlic Chutney, Sweet Chutney, Green Chutney.
* Sprinkle Roasted Cumin Powder, Chaat Masala Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Black Salt.
* Finish off with a garnish of fresh coriander leaves, onions, tomatoes.
* Top it with Nylon Sev / Deep fried very fine gram flour noodles.
Your Ragda Beetroot Pattice is ready to serve.