Sunday, 24 March 2019
Kutchi Shami Kebab / Gujrati Kutchi Memoni Style Shami Kabab
It's been a dream to walk through the pristine white sands of the Rann of Kutch, a salt marsh in the Thar Dessert spanning across the Western Indian State of Gujrat. In the moonlight soaked pearly sands I wish to stand with both my feet buried in the sand, gazing at the starred canopy above, listening to the buzzing, humming sound of the nocturnal dessert creatures, letting the cool dessert breeze play hop scotch with my tresses. Then as from a nearby tent the aroma of delicious food will slowly start enveloping the night air, my growling tummy will keep nudging my entire being to uproot my feet from the sand and walk towards the scent of decadent food. Ah, I keep dreaming of this all the time. Someday I will tick off this dream of mine, fulfil my desire to savour the delectable cuisine native to this area. Till then let my kitchen be my wish fulfilling magic wand, where at least I can dish out at least a few of those Kutchi delicacies till the time I can actually make my culinary trip to the Rann of Kutch.
The Kutchi dish which has made a permanent home in my kitchen menu is the Kutchi Shami Kebab or the Gujrati Kutchi Memoni Style Shami Kabab/ Kebab.
500 Gms Chicken Mince / Keema
1 Tbsp Oil
1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
2 Tsp Garlic, freshly grated
1 Tsp Ginger, freshly grated
1/2 Cup (100 Gms approximately) Split Husked Chickpeas / Chana Dal / Bengal Gram, soaked covered with water at least for 4 hours
1 Tsp Poppy Seeds / Khus Khus ( Since Poppy Seeds are banned here, I have used 1 Tsp Almond Slivers + 1 Tsp Melon Seeds / Magaj Manji ), soaked in water at least for 1 hour
1 Tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/4th Tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
Salt to taste
1 Cup Water
4 Tsp Lime Juice
1 Whole Egg
4 ~ 5 Tbsp Oil for frying the Kebabs
5) Next add the dry spices that is Turmeric Powder, Red Chilli Powder, Garam Masala Powder. Also add poppy seeds ( In my case almond slivers & melon seeds) after draining the water out. Season with Salt.
7) Cook till the Chicken is Cooked, the Husked Split Chick Peas soften and the water completely dries up.
8) Cool and transfer the contents of the pan into a Mixer Grinder or Food Processor. Add Lime Juice.
11) Divide the mixture into equal parts. Take each portion and with your palms shape them to form patties or round cutlets.
12) In a pan take oil. Shallow fry the Kutchi Shami Kebabs , flipping them occasionally till done.
13) When the Kutchi Shami Kebabs have turned golden brown on both the sides, take them out of the pan onto a paper kitchen towel or napkin. Let it soak the excess oil.
14) Transfer into a serving plate and serve hot with Dips of your choice.