Shriek!!!! Scream !!!! This cannot be true. " Temperatures across the UAE will peak at around 45C over the next few days, but the soaring humidity will make it feel as if it's, wait for it.... a whooping 64 degrees." Information courtesy What's On , Dubai. Please please Mr.S can we take a holiday to a place of cooler clime? He frowns and with the sternest no looks away into his news paper, too annoyed to be called out of his morning ritual of piping hot South Indian filter coffee and the freshest edition of Gulf News, which he, I think reads line by line. I get up looking for Mum-in-law, my saviour in situations like this on most earlier occasions. She, too, is busy in her morning invocation of the Almighty and I meekly recede back into my own cocoon. But I am so unable to concentrate on anything. The next best saviour after my Mum-in-law has always been the refrigerator. On occasions such as this, when things don't go my way, a peek into the refrigerator has always ended, with me cooking up a fire (oh no nothing hot seems to feel good this morning) or alternately digging into some comfort food or chocolates sitting pretty in my refrigerator. Oh dear gadget friend, please pull me out of my despondency this morning. I open the door of the refrigerator and the chill whiff coated with a white smoke that greets me is good enough to bring a kind of solace to me.
Italian Cream Soda is a variation of the Italian Soda. Handcrafted Italian Soda has had many variations over the years, from using various types of flavoured syrups to adding cream or ice-cream to the Italian Soda. The three basic ingredients of carbonated water, flavoured syrup and ice have however remained the same three main ingredients of the Italian Soda, inspite of all the creative modifications made over the years. Most handcrafted recipes use the syrup of Torani company . But I zeroed down and have been following a recipe where I can take the full advantage of the seasonal fruits, plentifully available and make the syrup easily at home. The basic advantage of doing this is that you can make this Mocktail without any geographical disadvantage. Also another ingredient used in the Italian cream soda is half and half . Half and half also known as half and half cream is a simple blend of equal parts of whole milk and light cream. You should normally find it in the dairy section of your supermarket sitting next to your milk and cream. Half and half is normally used in those recipes which demands something heavier than milk but not as rich as cream. I have mentioned the exact proportions or ratio of cream and milk in half and half in the ingredients section below, so that you can make half and half at home, tasting very very close to the store bought one. So let's get started on making Strawberry Italian Cream Soda. This is a great beverage to serve on special occasions, especially if you are hosting a party. It not only makes your beverage tray look very pretty but also most people love this fuzzy drink with its creaminess and fruity flavour. When serving to children add a scoop of ice-cream instead of the whipping cream on top. For vegan options use coconut milk and coconut cream instead of dairy. It tastes equally yummy.
Dear friends this post is a part of the monthly Blog Hop of the Culinary Hoppers, this month's theme being " Mocktails". So do come back and check this page for the links to some amazing mocktails by my blogger friends.
STRAWBERRY ITALIAN CREAM SODA RECIPE ~
MAKE STRAWBERRY ITALIAN CREAM SODA WITH ME IN EASY STEPS ~
- Add sugar.
- Add water. Stir. Let the burner remain on high till all the sugar dissolves in the water. Allow the sugar syrup to come to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile Chop the strawberries into small pieces. Once the sugar syrup starts boiling reduce the heat and add the strawberries, followed by the lemon zest.
- Simmer till the strawberry pieces become soft and can be easily smashed using the back of your spoon.
- Remove the pan from the burner and leave the strawberry syrup to cool down. Once it has cooled, using a strainer strain the liquid out separating the syrup from the soft strawberries. (NOTE : Do not throw away the strawberries left behind in the strainer. Instead use them in your yogurt, parfaits, ice-creams and even bread toasts.)
- Add ice cubes leaving about 3 inches from the top rim of the glass.
- Next pour the Soda again leaving about an inch or two from the top of the glass (200 ml per glass approximately)
- Pour in the half and half cream now (70 ml approximately per glass).
LET'S SEE HOW TO ASSEMBLE AND MAKE STRAWBERRY ITALIAN CREAM SODA WITH PICTURES ~
Meanwhile chop the strawberries into small pieces.
Once the sugar syrup starts boiling, reduce the heat and add the strawberries followed by the lemon zest.
Simmer till the strawberry pieces become soft and can be easily smashed using the back of your spoon.
Remove the pan from the burner and leave the strawberry syrup to cool down. Once cool, using a strainer, strain the liquid out, separating the syrup from the soft strawberries.
Your Strawberry Syrup is ready to use.
2) Now we need to make the Half and Half. Since I had skimmed milk and heavy cream, I mixed them in the ratio of Milk : Cream, 2/3 Cup : 1/3 Cup. Please refer to the ingredients section of this post for further details. Take milk and cream in a bowl and whisk them till no lump remains and you get a smooth glossy liquid.
Add ice cubes leaving about 3 inches from the top rim of the glass approximately. Next pour the soda, again leaving about an inch or two from the top of the glass (200 ml. approximately per glass).
Pour in the half and half cream now ( 70 ml. approximately per glass).
2) Top up the glass with whipped cream or ice-cream. I have used whipped cream. Garnish with fresh fruits. I have used cherry.
Serve chilled and enjoy this creamy, yummy soda mocktail to the hilt.
4) +Shubha A ~ Orange Glow
5) +Padma Veeranki / Masalakorb ~ See Breeze Mocktail
6) +Padma Veeranki / Masalakorb ~ Frozen WaterMelon Slush
7) +Poornima hegde ~ Snowy Plover
8) +jayashree trao ~ Coconut Cucumber Cooler
9) +Swati Saxena ~ Cantaloupe Fizz With Ginger And Mint