Saturday, 28 September 2019
Bengali Style Cauliflower Roast Recipe / Durga Puja Special Phulkopir Roast Recipe / Bhajohori Manna Pujo Special Phulkopir Roast Recipe
Subho Mahalaya to all celebrating the advent of Goddess Durga. May she bless all with peace, good health and success in every sphere. For Bengalis all over the world, Mahalaya marks the commencement of the Durga Pujo festivities.
Author ~ Piyali Sekhar Mutha
Serves ~ 4
Type ~ Thick Curry Bengali Style
Cuisine ~ Bengali / Indian
Time ~ 15 mins Preparation + 25 minutes Cooking
1 Cauliflower big in size
1/2 Cup Green Peas, fresh
2 Tbsp Oil
5 Tsp Ghee/ Clarified Butter
1 inch Cinnamon
6 Green Cardamom pods
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tbsp Ginger paste
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts
1/2 Cup Coconut, grated
1/2 Cup Yogurt
2 Green Chillies
1/4 Tsp Sugar
1 Tsp Garam Masala Powder
Salt to Taste
Step 1 ~
* Cut the Cauliflower into medium sized florets.
* Take pan or wok. Pour 2 Tbsp oil into it. When hot, trow in the cauliflower florets. Fry them for a 2 to 3 minutes, until they get a light golden tinge.
* Now transfer the cauliflower florets into a plate and keep aside for later use.
Step 2 ~
* In the same pan add ghee / clarified butter. To that add cinnamon, bay leaves, small green cardamom. Allow it to become fragrant.
* Next add the Ginger paste.
* While the ginger paste is frying to lose it's raw smell, simmer the heat and take a grinder or food processor. Throw in Cashewnuts, grated Coconut, yogurt and green chillies. Whizz to a smooth fine paste. Keep aside.
* Add red chilli powder to the fragrant ginger and whole spices in the pan.
* Add the smooth paste from the grinder / food processor to it. Mix and stir well.
* Add salt and sugar and mix well.
Step 3 ~
* Add 3/4 Cup of water and stir for a minute.
* Throw in the green peas. Simmer for 5 minutes. No need to cover.
* Sprinkle half the garam masala powder into the gravy and retain the remaining to use right at the end.
* Now add in the lightly fried cauliflower florets, mix well. Check for seasoning and add salt if required. Simmer for 5 minutes without covering. As the gravy thickens, switch off the flame and sprinkle the remaining garam masala.
Your Bengali Style Cauliflower Roast is ready to serve.